Sunday, March 28, 2010

Free-Running LabC

Lab C incorporated many sports that are not always the first to be taught in physical education classes. For my classmates and I, we were put out of our comfort zones to learn and teach about sports that are not popular. The topic my group was given to teach was free-running. Free running is a form of parkour which is a sport or athletic activity in which the participant seeks to move quickly and fluidly through an area. This lesson was one of the hardest lessons for me to put together because I was very unfamiliar with what free-running was exactly. At the beginning, my group mistook free-running as just gymnastic moves. After Professor Yang helped us out, we were able to see that teaching this lesson is more than gymnastic moves but how the body moves on different surfaces.
For my tasks, I decided to teach right shoulder rolls in different types of environments. I thought my lesson went quite well. However, there is room for improvement. If I end up teaching this again, I would simplify my instructions. In my time coding sheet, instruction took up almost 50% of the lesson (with activity being less than 50). In a physical education class, the main focus shouldn't be on the teacher instructing but the students being active. Next time, I would plan out the stations better especially with managing the equipment better to decrease management time as well. I barely gave any specific feedback and it shows in my lesson because most of the kids I gave feedback to were the ones who were doing good and not the ones who may have been struggling.
I did like how in this lesson the class was in an environment other than the gymnastics room. The students were able to use equipment that are not always available to them in a gym. This seemed to keep the students interested especially when setting up the jumping station as well as the last stations. I did a good job of smiling and keeping up the enthusiasm and as a result making me feel less nervous. I'm grateful for this lab. I was able to learn a lot not just from free-running but from my classmate's lesson as well. i think to many people think p.e. is only about baseball/soccer/softball etc. and it was enjoyable to teach a sport outside the other sports.



Lesson Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment